Some of the 24 screwdrivers I made for the alumni of Royal Military College
I made these screwdrivers in a different manner than suggested in the kit. I turned a 6" piece of cocobolo or zebrawood between centres to a cylinder. I then held the base end in a chuck and drilled the fitting holes using a Jacob's chuck in my tail stock. I then remounted between centres with a cone centre in the hole.
I turned the end for the ferrule but did not install it.
I then shaped the screwdriver ecept for the base and sanded it to 2000 grit.
I then remounted the blank with the ferrule tenon in the chuck. I was then able to finish the base of the handle and sand it to 2000 grit.
I applied 3 coats of tung oil and, when the oil had dried, buffed the handle with the Beall system. Only then did I assemble the screwdriver. The customer was very pleased.