Due to high demand and limited supply, we cannot always guarantee that this item will be in stock. Turning Blanks come rough sawn to nominal thickness and are coated with wax.
- Native to: Equatorial West Africa.
- Tree: May reach heights of 50 to 60 ft with trunk diameters of about 24".
- Heartwood: Uniformly jet black, black brown or streaked.
- Sapwood: Pink colored off the saw, darkening to a pale reddish brown with exposure. Width of sapwood varies widely.
- Texture: Very fine.
- Grain: Straight or slightly interlocking. Sometimes curly.
- Allergies: Sawdust may cause a skin reaction.
- Working Properties: Ebony is extremely hard, and the heartwood is difficult to machine with both hand and power tools. Dulls tools quickly. May tear out while planing if grain is irregular.
- Polish: Takes an excellent polish.
- Steam-bending properties: Good.
- Natural Durability: Heartwood is very durable. Resists termite attack very well.
5 Review(s)View All
This wood turns as well as...Posted March 19, 2009
Nice black piece of ebony that...Posted January 13, 2009
The block was undersized compared to...Posted December 3, 2010