- Hybrid "Excelsior" material combines the fine finishing qualities of HSS with a titanium-nitride coating that helps it rival carbide in durability.
- Coating does not "wear off". Instead, with each sharpening, a fresh, coatededge is exposed.
- Cutters can easily be swapped by removing the high tensile torx screw on the TurnMaster shank.
- Round Excelsior Cutter is 9/16" in diameter, and is ideal for waste removal and shaping of concave surfaces.
- Square Excelsior Cutter measures 9/16" x 9/16", and is ideal for waste removal and shaping of flat and convex surfaces.
- Detail Point Excelsior Cutter measures 1/2"W x 1-3/32"L, and is used for partingand line detailing.
- French Curve/Inside Excelsior Cutter is used for shaping and finishing ofinternal/concave surfaces.
- Box/Detail Excelsior Cutter has parallel side walls, which are perfect for makingboxes and dovetails.
- Teardrop/Inside/Outside Excelsior Cutter is ideal for scraping and shearscraping of both concave and convex surfaces.
- Mushroom Excelsior Cutter is used for undercutting small hollow forms.
Which cutter material should I use?
Cutters for the Robert Sorby TurnMaster are available in Tungsten Carbide, HighSpeed Steel (HSS) and HSS coated with Titanium Nitride ("Excelsior").
- Designed to be disposable, these carbide cutters don't require any sharpening.
- (Carbide tips can be sharpened, but require specialized diamond abrasives).
- Carbide stays reasonably sharp for a longer period of time, but because of itscoarse grain, can never be sharpened as finely as HSS.
- Gives extended cutting life with the toughest of woods.
- Sharpens to 0.7 - 1 microns.
- Hardness: 90 RC.
- Material: micro grade tungsten carbide.
High Speed Steel (HSS):
- Due to its finer grain structure, HSS holds a sharper edge than carbide, but willdull more quickly.
- Very economical - can be re-sharpened multiple times with standardsharpening equipment.
- Provides unmatched quality for the discerning woodturner keen on gettingthe greatest detail from their tools.
- Sharpens to 0.2 - 0.4 microns.
- Hardness : 62 RC.
- Material: M2 HSS.
Titanium Nitride-Coated HSS (Excelsior):
- These cutters provide the same advantages as HSS but give added longevitybefore sharpening is required.
- Sharpens to 0.15 - 0.2 microns.
- Hardness of titanium coating is up to 85 RC.
- Material: Titanium nitride coated M2 HSS.