- Solid tungsten carbide for an incredibly long cutting life.
- Cutters can easily be swapped by removing the high tensile torx screw on the TurnMaster shank and be easily removed to change the cutter.
- Round HSS Cutter is 9/16" in diameter, and is ideal for waste removal and shaping of concave surfaces.
- Square HSS Cutter measures 9/16" x 9/16", and is ideal for waste removal and shaping of flat and convex surfaces.
- Detail Point HSS Cutter measures 1/2"W x 1-3/32"L, and is used for parting and line detailing.
- French Curve/Inside HSS Cutter is used for shaping and finishing of internal/concave surfaces.
- Box/Detail HSS Cutter has parallel side walls, which are perfect for making boxes and dovetails.
- Teardrop/Inside/Outside HSS Cutter is ideal for scraping and shear scraping of both concave and convex surfaces.
- Mushroom HSS Cutter is used for undercutting small hollow forms.
Cutters for the Robert Sorby TurnMaster are available in Tungsten Carbide,High Speed Steel (HSS) and HSS coated with Titanium Nitride ("Excelsior").
- Designed to be disposable, these carbide cutters don't require any sharpening. (Carbide tips can be sharpened, but require specialized diamond abrasives).
- Carbide stays reasonably sharp for a longer period of time, but because of its coarse grain, can never be sharpened as finely as HSS.
- Gives extended cutting life with the toughest of woods.
- Sharpens to 0.7 - 1 microns.
- Hardness: 90 RC.
- Material: micro grade tungsten carbide.
High Speed Steel (HSS):
- Due to its finer grain structure, HSS holds a sharper edge than carbide, but will dull more quickly.
- Very economical - can be re-sharpened multiple times with standard sharpening equipment.
- Provides unmatched quality for the discerning woodturner keen on getting the greatest detail from their tools.
- Sharpens to 0.2 - 0.4 microns.
- Hardness : 62 RC.
- Material: M2 HSS.
Titanium Nitride-Coated HSS (Excelsior):
- These cutters provide the same advantages as HSS but give added longevity before sharpening is required.
- No specialized equipment is required for sharpening.
- Repeated sharpening does not remove the titanium nitride coating, it simply renews it.
- Sharpens to 0.15 - 0.2 microns.
- Hardness of titanium coating is up to 85 RC.
- Material: Titanium nitride coated M2 HSS.