- Tree: May reach a height of 70 to 120 feet, with a 24 to 36 inch diameter trunk.
- Sapwood Color: White with a reddish cast.
- Heartwood Color: Uniformly pale reddish brown or light tan.
- Grain: Usually fairly straight, but can also be curly or wavy. Sometimes exhibits decorative figuring like bird's eye, maple burl, blister, leaf, and fiddleback.
- Texture: Very fine and even.
- Working properties: Due to hardness, tools must be kept very sharp.
- Carving: Responds well to carving tools.
- Steam bending properties: Fair.
- Strength Properties: Very high bending strength. Resistance to compression parallel to the grain is high. Hardness is rated as medium. It is heavy, and resists denting and marring. Hard Maple can be up to 25 percent harder than Soft Maple.
6 Review(s)View All
Received my maple today in the...Posted July 3, 2012
Good quality, only issue I have...Posted May 6, 2009
Straight and clear nice swirly grain,...Posted March 2, 2008