Due to high demand and limited supply, we cannot always guarantee that this item will be in stock. Turning Blanks come rough sawn to nominal thickness and are coated with wax.
- Botanical name: Olea europaea.
- Native to: Northern Africa, the Middle East and Southern Europe. Also grown in California, Florida and Arizona.
- Tree: Olive trees may grow to 25' tall, with trunk diameters of up to 12", and may live as long as 1500 years.
- Heartwood: Nutty brown with veins of rich green and dark brown. Acquires a rich patina with exposure to UV rays.
- Sapwood: Creamy golden color, interlaced with darker stripes.
- Texture: Fine, with closed pores.
- Working Characteristics: Routs and planes well with carbide cutters. Turns and carves beautifully. Sawing and drilling are somewhat difficult. Keep tools very sharp. Prebore when nailing and screwing.
- Movement: Unstable. Exhibits great movement with humidity changes.
- Odor: Emits a faint, sweet aroma when machined.
- Polish: Can be polished to an exceptional sheen.
- Strength: Very hard, heavy and strong.
5 Review(s)View All
I made a deer grunt call...Posted March 4, 2011
This is as fine a piece...Posted June 7, 2009
The knife in the photo is...Posted February 18, 2009