- Start with square pieces of wood 3/4" thick. Cut the top A1 and bottom A2 to an 8-1/4" diameter circle. Using a Rockler Ogee router bit, rout the edges of both the top and bottom. Sand all edges.
- Drill blind holes B to hold glass in place in the center of both the top and bottom circles using a 5/8" forstner bit. Be careful to measure the center of each piece accurately to perfectly align the top and bottom.
- Drill three holes 1/2" dia. x 1/2" deep in the top and bottom for spindle mounts C. The three spindles should be spaced 2-15/16" out from the center to form an even triangle. Using the same center point, drill all the way through using a 5/16" drill bit for feet. NOTE: When drilling through use a backer scrap to avoid tearout.
- Using the same 1/2" drill bit used in Step 3, drill holes through the decorative carvings D. NOTE: When drilling through use a backer scrap to avoid tearout.
- Stain and finish. Note: do not finish at gluing points.
- With the bottom circle on your working surface, place one decorative carving at each of the three spindle holes. Place a small amount of wood glue around the end of each spindle and a small amount of glue on the bottom of the decorative disc. Then insert each spindle E through the decorative disc and into the hole.
- Glue pieces together by placing "O" ring into center holes, then install the hourglass in the center hole and place the top wood circle on the unit with the glass F in the center hole. Turn the unit over and repeat Step 6 for the other side (now on the bottom). Allow for adjustment while glue is still wet.
- Place brass box feet G into each hole on each end.
- Assemble completely.