I read the previous reviews on...
Posted November 14, 2011
I read the previous reviews on this product and decided to try it myself. I have a few tips on how to get them to work MUCH easier. 1) Before use, run a 1/4 bolt through the t-nuts from both sides. They need a bit of convincing the first time. I'm thinking that they still have some burrs on the internal threads. Running the bolt through both sides cleans up the threads and reduces the resistance to the spinning insertion tool during insertion. 2) Spritz the insertion tool with your favorite alpha-numerically named water-displacement lubricant. This will help the tool spin freely and reduce the friction of the spinning insertion tool as well. 3) Really pound the t-nut in good. I find that with this, they go in very easily and I have not had any trouble with the t-nut spinning in the wood at all. I think that the issue described in other reviews comes from an excess of friction when the threads of the insertion tool are meshing with the threads in the t-nut. You don't want that. All in all, a GREAT product. I'll be ordering more when I burn through these.
I had exactly the same issues...
Posted January 13, 2011
I had exactly the same issues as the above reviewers. I resorted to using a hammer to set the T nut, and only later thought of using a forstner or a spade bit to countersink the T nut. This is a reflection of my skill level. I am somewhat more than a wood butcher, but far less than a cabinet builder. I do not own an arbor press. I suggest that Rockwall post instructions for the use of this bit on their website, rather than going to the expense of printing up the instructions and mailing them along with the bit. This would be of great help to more skilled do-it-yourselfers like me. I plan to use this product for other applications: it's great!
T nut Driver
Posted November 20, 2014
I found this tool useful in attaching the rivoting t-nuts. The unit could have been a 1/4" longer as I was using in the max depth wood of 3/4". The flanged nut on the back side would compress at the end of the thread and getting overtightened in the use process. I also think that it should be adapted so that interchangeble threaded studs could be chaged out to use on a variety different sized T-nuts (thread size) which also should be available but are not.