- Solid tungsten carbide for an incredibly long cutting life.
- Cutters can easily be swapped by removing the high tensile torx screw on the TurnMaster shank. be easily removed to change the cutter.vRound Carbide Cutter is 9/16" in diameter, and is ideal for waste removal and shaping of concave surfaces.
- Square Carbide Cutter measures 9/16" x 9/16", and is ideal for waste removal and shaping of flat and convex surfaces.
- Detail Point Carbide Cutter measures 1/2"W x 1-3/32"L, and is used for parting and line detailing.
Cutters for the Robert Sorby TurnMaster are available in Tungsten Carbide, High Speed Steel (HSS) and HSS coated with Titanium Nitride ("Excelsior").
- Designed to be disposable, these carbide cutters don't require any sharpening. (Carbide tips can be sharpened, but require specialized diamond abrasives).
- Carbide stays reasonably sharp for a longer period of time, but because of its coarse grain, can never be sharpened as finely as HSS.
- Gives extended cutting life with the toughest of woods.
- Sharpens to 0.7 - 1 microns.
- Hardness: 90 RC.
- Material: micro grade tungsten carbide.
High Speed Steel (HSS):
- Due to its finer grain structure, HSS holds a sharper edge than carbide, but will dull more quickly.
- Very economical - can be re-sharpened multiple times with standard sharpening equipment.
- Provides unmatched quality for the discerning woodturner keen on getting the greatest detail from their tools.
- Sharpens to 0.2 - 0.4 microns.
- Hardness : 62 RC.
- Material: M2 HSS.
Titanium Nitride-Coated HSS (Excelsior):
- These cutters provide the same advantages as HSS but give added longevity before sharpening is required.
- No specialized equipment is required for sharpening.
- Repeated sharpening does not remove the titanium nitride coating, it simply renews it.
- Sharpens to 0.15 - 0.2 microns.
- Hardness of titanium coating is up to 85 RC.
- Material: Titanium nitride coated M2 HSS.