- Tree: May attain a height of 70 to 90 feet, with a 24 to 48 inch diameter trunk.
- Texture: Usually coarse, but uniform.
- Luster: Somewhat dull, but develops a lustrous patina after many years in use.
- Odor: Emits a mild, sweet odor reminiscent of cocoa.
- Movement: Dimensionally stable after seasoning. Absorbs and releases moisture more slowly than most woods.
- Natural Durability: Resistance to insects and fungi is very good.
- Working characteristics: Works extremely well with hand tools.
- Steam Bending: Steam bends well. (Roughly 78% of steam bended pieces survive without cracking).
- Strength: The wood is strong and is able to withstand extra weight with little deflection or bending.