Leave a silky finish with this premium smooth plane, featuring gorgeous sapele handles and solid brass fixings.
Bench Dog® Tools No. 4 Smoothing Plane
Bench Dog's No. 4 smoother takes the thinnest of shavings for an exceptionally fine finish. Used skillfully, it can be the final step before finishing, and it also makes a good general-purpose plane or first plane for your collection. Quality materials, precision machining and solid construction result in a hand plane that's an absolute pleasure to use. The sole is precision ground flat. The blade is made from thick 1/8'' hardened carbon steel for reduced chatter and excellent edge retention. Solid sapele is used for the comfortable tote and knob, adding a touch of elegance. Each plane includes a case, sock, manual and a Certificate of Inspection with measurements specific to your plane for sole flatness and blade hardness.
- Ideal for surface finishing and final smoothing
- Ductile cast iron body for superior strength and resistance to impact
- Adjustable frog lets you narrow the blade opening for fine shavings
- Easy depth-of-cut adjustment and lateral blade adjustment
- Solid brass cap iron and threaded fittings for smooth action
- Sole of plane and back of blade are flat to tight tolerances
- Blade and sole are treated with a protective layer of oil
- Certificate of Inspection included for each tool
- Minimal setup and tuning required before use
(1) Bench Dog® Tools No. 4 Smoothing Plane
(1) Plane sock
(1) Black storage case
(1) Certificate of Inspection
(1) Owner's manual
|Manufacturer Part Number||250055|
WARNING: Drilling, sawing, sanding or machining wood products can expose you to wood dust, a substance known to the State of California to cause cancer. Avoid inhaling wood dust or use a dust mask or other safeguards for personal protection. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/wood.
3 months ago
My Planes (I also have the Bench Dog Block plane) are very nicely machined and met all specifications right from the box. I sharpened both planes and can produce very fine curls. I'm not very strong but have learned these tools can be a real asset in my shop. They are beautifully made, fit the hand well, and are predictable and controllable.
I only put 4 stars on them only because I've never used premium planes but as well as these work I'd be very surprised if there was a significant improvement. I'f I can get good results anyone can.
Honestly, for the price and the quality of the plane, I'd expect I'd have to spend some time tuning it. The documentation that came with it even said so. The part that sort of bothers me is Rockler makes really high claims about the sharpness etc of this plane out of the box. That was not my experience. In the the end. I'm actually very happy with the plane and believe it was a good purchase.
4 months ago
1 month ago