Bench Dog® Tools No. 5-1/2 Jack Plane
The versatile jack plane is typically the first bench plane to touch rough lumber. This is the No. 5-1/2 version, which is slightly larger and heavier than the No. 5—ideal when you need more heft to get through challenging grain, or more blade width for edge planing thick lumber. Its uses range from flattening and squaring to preliminary smoothing. It is often called a fore plane, as it is used ''before'' the finer work of the jointer and smoothing planes. Quality materials, precision machining and solid construction result in a hand plane that's an absolute pleasure to use. The sole is precision ground flat. The blade is made from thick 1/8'' hardened carbon steel for reduced chatter and excellent edge retention. Solid sapele is used for the comfortable tote and knob, adding a touch of elegance. Each plane includes a case, sock, manual and individual inspection report with measurements specific to your plane for sole flatness and blade hardness.
- Ideal for flattening, squaring and initial smoothing
- Ductile cast iron body for superior strength and resistance to impact
- Adjustable frog lets you narrow the blade opening for fine shavings
- Easy depth-of-cut adjustment and lateral blade adjustment
- Solid brass cap iron and threaded fittings for smooth action
- Sole of plane and back of blade are flat to tight tolerances
- Blade and sole are treated with a protective layer of oil
- Certificate of Inspection included for each tool
- Minimal setup and tuning required before use
(1) Bench Dog® Tools No. 5-1/2 Jack Plane
(1) Plane sock
(1) Black storage case
(1) Certificate of Inspection
(1) Owner's manual
|Manufacturer Part Number||250080|
The blade is of a better quality than other blades at this price point, i did buy mine on sale. I would say this is easily a competitor with the Wood river or any of the other planes over 200$.
I did a 2 stone progression on the blade and was getting perfectly even curls on your standard 2x4 top with no effort. Ill be hard pressed to look elsewhere than the Benchdog brand in the future. Machining is excellent.
8 months ago
I’ve used this plane for a few projects so far and it has performed extremely well. The machined flat surface was checked when I received it, and it does in fact come from the factory with a perfectly flat base and a sharp edge on the blade...no major tuning required. I’ve used this plane with hard and softwoods and it performs very well with both. For the money, I think the Bench Dog planes are fantastic. I’ll be adding more to my toolbox.
1 year ago
The things that I like about this are:
1. The soul is very flat.
2. The blade is nice and thick.
3. The frog is easily adjustable and moves as it should.
Areas that could benefit from improvement include:
1. The blade adjustment knob has a little more play in it then I would like to see.
And that's really about it. I have been able to get excellent results with this plane. When using it as a smoother I can pull shavings that are in the 1-3/1000" range.
WARNING: Drilling, sawing, sanding or machining wood products can expose you to wood dust, a substance known to the State of California to cause cancer. Avoid inhaling wood dust or use a dust mask or other safeguards for personal protection. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/wood.