CNC Shark HD4
Thanks to upgraded electronics, a color touch-screen pendant controller and additional expansion ports, the CNC Shark has become more versatile and easy-to-use than ever. It features larger linear guides, XY homing capability. Like past models, the Shark HD4 includes Virtual Zero software, which maps the surface of your workpiece for maximum accuracy. It features a gantry reinforced with heavy plate aluminum, adjustable bearings, and anti-backlash, wear-compensated lead screws on all three axes, allowing it to handle larger routers such as the Porter Cable 890 series, Bosch 1617 series and water-cooled spindles. Perfect for carving and machining a large variety of projects made from wood, soft metals or plastics. Simply supply a PC computer with USB 2.0 port and any of the routers listed below, connect the USB cable to the controller box and load the software. Includes VCarve Desktop V9.5 Design Software, Vector Art 3D Sampler Pack, and CNC Shark control software with Virtual Zero technology.
- Virtual Zero software ''maps'' the surface of your table or workpiece and uses the map as a dynamic reference point. This virtually eliminates problems caused by warped or bowed work pieces
- Touch-screen pendant controlled software package with color graphics
- X & Y homing capability
- Anti-backlash, wear-compensated direct drive lead screws on all axes
- Interlocking aluminum table with rigid channels for fast, flexible clamping
- Detachable, rotating cradles allow different attachments and height configurations
- Enhanced hardware controller with expansion ports and pendant ability
- Handles medium routers such as the Porter Cable 890 series or Bosch 1617 series (up to 2-1/4 HP router) or the water cooled spindle from Next Wave Automation
- Compatible with all HD line accessories
- Aluminum and high-density polyethylene construction is designed for commercial use
- Gantry is reinforced with plate aluminum for heavier machining capabilities
- Automatic on and off software control of router/spindle system
- Mount for router included (router sold separately)
- Includes VCarve Desktop V9.5 Design Software
- Download free project plans from Vectric
- One year warranty on parts and labor, special shipping exclusions apply
Will this CNC work with my router?
Fully compatible with the following routers (sold separately):
- Bosch 1617 and 1618
- Dewalt 610, 616, 618
- Porter Cable 890 Series
- Porter Cable 690 Series (6902VS must be manually started)
- Requires Windows 7 or later.
- If you have received prior versions of VCarve, they are upgradeable to version 9.0.
- There is an additional $110.00 shipping charge for this item.
- Must be shipped within 48 Contiguous United States.
- 15% Restocking fee on all CNC Shark returns.
- Please call customer service before returning product.
(1) Router Mount (see list of compatible routers)
(1) 3/8'' V-Groove Bit (colors may vary)
(2) Hold Down Clamps (colors may vary)
(1) VCarve Desktop V9.5 Software Package
(1) CNC Shark Control Panel operating software with Virtual Zero technology
(1) Vector Art 3D Sampler Pack
|Manufacturer Part Number||10018|
Please don't think that this is the cure to your woodworking everything, as it's not. It's a tool, one that is relatively complicated, and needs more attention than a planer or a saw. If you are in the camp that hates to zero your other tools, this is not going to be a fun experience. If you think that machines that give you 1/64" or less amount of control are great, along with the need to check alignment frequently, this is probably for you.
The software that generates too paths, VCarve is good, Pro adds a few features, and if you don't have/don't want to learn 3d modelling with a different program, spend the bucks and get Aspire. There might be cheaper ways to do 3D modeling, but importing .stl and .bmp (et alia) into VCarve isn't as forgiving or easy as one would hope. With Aspire, you can use a single program as a complete start to finish solution.
Be sure to check that the router bit is as close to exactly perpendicular to the t-track bed as possible. If it is off, you will be sanding out grooves from every flat surface that you try to mill, especially if you are using a planing bit, i.e. something that is 1" or larger.
At any rate, this is a great machine. There are a few things that I'd do a little differently if I built one, (limiter switches for max travel, heat sinks for the servos) but all in all it does what you tell it to do. With lots of dust. :)
BTW if you buy these machines......do yourself a favor.....GET THE TOUCH TOOL!!!! makes setting the tool height a dream!!
V carve desktop matched with this CNC can do amazing things.
Bottom line, few reviews are because users are too busy using the machine to take time to write reviews.
It comes with a Sense Probe that will sense the board; find the center, and set the X and Y coordinates, among other functions, saving the trouble of finding the center manually. I find that I have shifted a lot of my XY datum positions for new projects to the center of the board because of its accuracy ease of use and I can now go back to find the exact start point without having to guess.
I find the Vetric software easy to use and the Vetric site has dozens of videos to teach you how to use all the functions of the software. They also have a lot of free project plans. I’ve made a few already.
I only have one regret; I should have bought the extended bed. But a great machine nonetheless.
1. The setup and support are very confusing. I submitted help tickets online but it took a week to respond.
2. The machine has tendencies to lose its zero position during the middle of a run. I created several inlays and during the middle of the run, the router bit (brand new bit) would catch causing the inlay to be ruined. When I would rezero the tool, it would be an inch or so off.
3. The firmware on the pad wasn’t up to date and it is a very confusing process to fix and required a service tech to send me a one off email.
What I like:
1. The price and package bundle is a good deal for comparable machines.
2. The laser works great!
I gave a three star because the overall process has been so hard to get any help or documentation on the issues noted here. It’s a good tool for the most part but I’d suggest Nextwave hire more customer service staff and increase their documentation on setup.
Hope that helps
You may find it helpful to go to the Vectric website, where you can view the specifications or download a free trial version of VCarve to evaluate the features for yourself.
It will not provide full functionality for the HD4 Extended Bed, this machine would require VCarve Pro.