Longworth Style Chuck
Add the finishing touches to the bottoms of your bowls and platters with minimal setup time!
Just rotate the plates of the Longworth Style Chuck and the soft silicone buttons close in quickly to hold your project while you make the finishing cuts to the bottom side. Unlike many other rechucking methods, the silicone buttons won't mar your project or your finish. When compressed with the wing nuts, they expand to provide a secure grip. The 1/4'' thick phenolic plates provide strength and stability, regardless of humidity. Available in the following sizes: 10'' and 12'' for mini and midi lathes, and 16'' for lathes with a 16'' swing or larger.
Pick up a piece of fine china, and the first thing you'll do after admiring the face is turn it over to inspect the bottom and insignia. It's no different with turned bowls, so turners work hard to make the bottom as beautiful as the top. With the Longworth Style Chuck, securing a finished bowl face down on the lathe without damaging it is easy. Simply rotate the plates, tighten down the buttons, and you're ready to turn.
- Eliminates the time and inconvenience of installing, adjusting and readjusting ordinary rechucking jaws
- Capable of holding projects in compression or expansion mode (from the inside or outside of the rim of your turning project)
- Buttons close in concentrically, making it easy to center your project
- Soft silicone buttons have increased length for better grip and expansion capabilities
- Buttons expand when the wing nut is tightened, and will not mark or deform your turned piece
- Includes 8 buttons. Replacement packs of buttons with hardware are available separately (#47455)
- No assembly required
- 1/4'' phenolic discs are extremely durable, stable, and spin in opposing directions with almost no resistance
- The back side of the Longworth Style Chuck has a steel disk approximately 3/8'' thick for mounting
- The disk is easily gripped by any brand of 4-jaw scroll chuck with the standard 50mm #2 jaws
- Straight jaws may be used, but dovetail jaws provide a better hold
- The dovetail groove accommodates Nova chucks and Vicmarc chucks as well as OneWay type straight jaws
- Recommended maximum RPM is 600
- Intended for light finishing cuts only—NOT for heavy stock removal
(1) Longworth Style Chuck with Pre-Mounted Buttons