Nova G3 Reversible Chuck Bundle with 3 Jaw Sets and Case
Offering solid construction, minimal vibration and ease-of-use, the Nova G3 has become a favorite chuck for small and mid-sized lathes. It is offered here in a value package with two extra sets of jaws—4'' jaws and pin jaws—in addition to the standard 2'' jaws. Though designed for the Nova Comet II Midi Lathe (#46457, sold separately), it can be used on any lathe with a 1'' x 8 TPI thread. When used on non-reversing lathes, the set screw must be removed. The G3 is a self-centering chuck, so all four jaws close at the same time by turning a single key. With only one hand needed to close the chuck, your other hand is free to align the stock. At just 1.79'' long, the compact G3 helps to maximize your distance between centers, and reduces stress on the spindle. This is not an insert style chuck. Cannot use an insert/adapter to change the threading.
- Small, compact design minimizes load on small spindles and bearings
- Dedicated 1'' x 8 TPI RH thread—no separate insert required
- Designed for the Nova Comet II Midi Lathe, but can be used on any lathe with a 1'' x 8 TPI thread
- Single-handed operation with included chuck key
- Four jaw design firmly grips both round and square wood—geared action provides a powerful positive grip
- Locking set screw allows it to be used for sanding in reverse mode when mounted on the Nova Comet II
- Wide range of available accessory jaws (Note that although all Nova jaws will fit, not all are recommended for use with the G3)
- Jaw slides made from high-tech copper fused steel for maximum hardness, wear, and self-lubricating properties
- Auto safety stop feature—jaw slides can't protrude past the chuck body
- Precision machined in one operation from a solid steel block for optimal accuracy
- Polished finish to allow for closer tolerances and accuracy
- Safe Lock™ Woodworm screw included for fast mounting of rough timbers
- 6 Year warranty
Package includes two extra sets of jaws—ideal for bowl and spigot turnings—plus a storage case!
The included JS100N 4'' Jaw Set is designed for expanded dovetail or reverse dovetail use. Ideal for gripping footed bowls and mounting custom wooden jaws. The included PSPIN extended pin jaws expand into a pre-bored hole, especially useful for bowls with a free form edge. The long jaw length allows for a powerful spigot grip for work up to 6'' in length. Dovetail allows mounting small bowls up to 6'' in diameter. Both grip firmly in both contraction and expansion mode.
(1) Set of 50mm/2" jaws
(1) Set of 100mm/4'' jaws (JS100N)
(1) Set of Pin Jaws (JSPIN)
(1) Safe Lock™ Woodworm screw
(1) Instruction Manual
(1) T-handle chuck key
(1) Set of fastenings
(1) Storage case
|Manufacturer Part Number||48246|
|Tech Spec|| G3 Chuck:
The dovetail feature on all of the jaw sets works extremely well in expansion mode. I would definitely recommend this chuck.
3 weeks ago
8 months ago
2 months ago
2 months ago
2 months ago
3 months ago
5 months ago
6 months ago
7 months ago
The chuck is made and finished very well and arrived with a thin coat of oil to prevent oxidation on the surface. The case and inside foam are heavy duty and protect the chuck very well. It's a real pleasure to use.
8 months ago
The Shopsmith Mark V has a 5/8" non-threaded spindle that uses a set screw to lock tools in place. Therefore you need an adapter to use NOVA G3 chucks on your Shopsmith.
NOVA, confusingly, makes two different versions of it's G3 Chuck. (An explanation of the differences can be found in the FAW on the NOVA web site).
For the G3 Reversible Version Chuck (NOVA 48232) that comes in this 30th Anniversary G3 Kit you'll have to go to a 3rd party to get an adapter that connects the Shopsmith's 5/8" spindle to the chuck's 1" x 8 TPI threads. As Dennis mentioned above, Penn State makes just such an adapter, the PSI L5818. Hurricane Turning Tools also makes one. I don't think Rockler has an adapter such as this.
NOVA also makes another version of the G3, that is NOT available in a 30th Anniversary Kit. They call it the Insert Version G3 Chuck (NOVA 48202). This version of the chuck has 1 1/2" x 8 TPI threads. NOVA does make an adapter for the Insert G3 Chuck (NOVA ISNS 71029). Rocker carries an adapter like this (Nova Insert/Adapter, 5/8" Plain Bore, Rockler Item # 43743), but it will ONLY work with the Insert version of the G3 Chuck, NOT the Reversible G3 Chuck found in the 30th Anniversary Kit.
You don't necessarily need a chuck just yet. The chuck is useful for turning pens and small items. You also use the chuck for turning bowls if you go with the mortise method. I am not sure if the chuck fits your lathe. I could not get enough info on the 46-460. Running the lathe backward would spin the chuck off the unit if it threads on.