Walnut by the Piece-3/4" Thickness
Fully surfaced on all 4 sides to actual dimensions.
With its gorgeous chocolate tone and easy workability, it's easy to see why Black Walnut is often regarded as the classic American cabinet wood. The heartwood varies from light grayish-brown to deep chocolate brown, occasionally approaching an almost black or purplish-brown. The grain is slightly open and usually straight, but is famous for its sometimes stunning figure. All boards are machined S4S to 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" thicknesses. Thin boards are well-suited for edging, veneering, marquetry, sides for decorative boxes, bending stock and bent laminations. Thicker boards are ideal for furniture, paneling, cabinet doors, moldings, drawer sides, fine jewelry boxes and whatever else your imagination can dream up!
- Tree: May attain a height of 70 to 90 feet, with a 24 to 48 inch diameter trunk
- Texture: Usually coarse, but uniform
- Luster: Somewhat dull, but develops a lustrous patina after many years in use
- Odor: Emits a mild, sweet odor reminiscent of cocoa
- Movement: Dimensionally stable after seasoning. Absorbs and releases moisture more slowly than most woods
- Natural Durability: Resistance to insects and fungi is very good
- Working characteristics: Works extremely well with hand tools
- Steam Bending: Steam bends well. (Roughly 78% of steam bended pieces survive without cracking)
- Strength: The wood is strong and is able to withstand extra weight with little deflection or bending
S4S - Surfaced Four Sides
- Planed on top and bottom surfaces to be parallel.
- Both edges are straight-line ripped perpendicular to top and bottom surfaces and parallel to each other.
- This milling produces boards that are ready for your craftsmanship. All surfaces are parallel and square allowing ends to be cut square or at any angle you require. Boards with this milling can also easily be ripped to whatever width your project requires.
- Great for all crafts, casework, furniture pieces, boxes, moldings...really any project!
(1) Walnut by the Piece-3/4" Thickness
- Drilling, sawing, sanding or machining wood products can expose you to wood dust, a substance known to the State of California to cause cancer. Avoid inhaling wood dust or use a dust mask or other safeguards for personal protection. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/wood.