Wenge by the Piece-3/4" Thickness
Fully surfaced on all 4 sides to actual dimensions.
A rich, coffee colored wood with veins of caramel, Wenge's striking contrast makes it an excellent accent wood for small, decorative items. The wood is extremely dense and durable. You won't have to worry about chipout, which is difficult to prevent when planing thin stock. Thin boards are ideal for edging, veneering, inlay, marquetry, sides for decorative boxes, bending stock, bent laminations and whatever else your imagination can dream up!
- Native to: Forests of Zaire, Cameroon, Gabon, southern Tanzania, Mozambique and the Congo.
- Tree: Medium sized, may reach a height of 50 to 60 feet, with a trunk diameter of 30 to 36 inches.
- Sapwood: Pale yellow or white, clearly differentiated from the heartwood.
- Heartwood: Dark brown to black, with fine, very dark veins and pale lines. Fantastic contrast. Color variation between boards is reported to be moderate.
- Light and Air-Induced Changes: Exposure lightens the dark color of the wood, and lumber can be intentionally left in the sun to lighten the color.
- Grain: Fairly straight.
- Texture: Medium to coarse.
- Luster: Low.
- Movement: Fairly stable.
- Natural Durability: Heartwood is quite durable and resistant to termites. High weather resistance makes Wenge an option for some exterior applications.
- Working characteristics: Responds well to machine and hand tools, provided they are sharp. Because of the natural resins in the wood, special care must be taken in gluing and finishing operations.
- Strength: Varies with density. Bending strength is generally very high. Compressive strength parallel to the grain is exceptionally high. It is moderately hard and resistant to marring. High weight and density.
S4S - Surfaced Four Sides
- Planed on top and bottom surfaces to be parallel.
- Both edges are straight-line ripped perpendicular to top and bottom surfaces and parallel to each other.
- This milling produces boards that are ready for your craftsmanship. All surfaces are parallel and square allowing ends to be cut square or at any angle you require. Boards with this milling can also easily be ripped to whatever width your project requires.
- Great for all crafts, casework, furniture pieces, boxes, moldings...really any project!
- Drilling, sawing, sanding or machining wood products can expose you to wood dust, a substance known to the State of California to cause cancer. Avoid inhaling wood dust or use a dust mask or other safeguards for personal protection. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/wood.