African Mahogany by the Piece-3/4" Thickness
Fully surfaced on all 4 sides to actual dimensions.
African Mahogany is strong, yet light, and works beautifully with hand tools. The color matures from a salmon tone when freshly cut, into a rich red or brown with age. The grain varies from straight to curly, sometimes producing highly attractive figures. Flat-sawn boards feature wavy horizontal bands. All boards are machined S4S to 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" thicknesses. Thin boards are well-suited for edging, veneering, marquetry, sides for decorative boxes, bending stock and bent laminations. Thicker boards are ideal for furniture, paneling, cabinet doors, moldings, drawer sides, fine jewelry boxes and whatever else your imagination can dream up!
- Texture: Fine or medium to coarse, and uniform.
- Luster: Highly lustrous.
- Movement: Mahogany is considered to be one of the most stable timbers.
- Durability: High durability, resistant to brown-rot and white rot fungi. Moderately resistant to dry-wood termite attack.
- Weathering Properties: Very good - a great choice for boat building.
- Planing: The wood is easy to plane, but figured grain may chip and tear.
- Turning: Easy - turned surfaces are usually clean.
- Polishing characteristics: Good.
- Steam Bending: Fairly good.
- Strength: Variable, but generally high bending strength and medium crushing strength. Hardness and weight are moderate, and density is high.
S4S - Surfaced Four Sides
- Planed on top and bottom surfaces to be parallel.
- Both edges are straight-line ripped perpendicular to top and bottom surfaces and parallel to each other.
- This milling produces boards that are ready for your craftsmanship. All surfaces are parallel and square allowing ends to be cut square or at any angle you require. Boards with this milling can also easily be ripped to whatever width your project requires.
- Great for all crafts, casework, furniture pieces, boxes, moldings...really any project!
- Drilling, sawing, sanding or machining wood products can expose you to wood dust, a substance known to the State of California to cause cancer. Avoid inhaling wood dust or use a dust mask or other safeguards for personal protection. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/wood.