Spanish Cedar by the Piece - 1/4" x 5" x 48
Fully surfaced on all 4 sides to actual dimensions.
Spanish Cedar is a lightweight, easily worked relative of Mahogany. Most widely known for its use in cigar boxes, it holds in moisture to create a natural humidor, and imparts its pleasant aroma to cigars. These thin boards are ideal for cigar boxes as well as any other decorative boxes. They are machined S4S to 1/4" thickness, eliminating wear and tear on your planer. You won't have to worry about chipout, which is difficult to prevent when planing thin stock. Thin boards are also ideal for edging, veneering, inlay, marquetry, bending stock, bent laminations and whatever else your imagination can dream up! Pieces measure 1/4" x 5" x 48"
- Tree: Cedrela trees may attain heights of 100 feet or more. The buttressed trees usually have trunks with diameters of 36 to 72 inches
- Sapwood Color: The sapwood is pale and not sharply differentiated from the heartwood
- Heartwood Color: Usually ranges from pale pinkish-brown to dark reddish-brown, darkening upon exposure
- Grain: Generally straight or slightly interlocked
- Texture: Moderately coarse
- Luster: Varies from lustrous to very lustrous
- Odor: Natural oils in the wood give off a distinctive fragrance
- Movement: Dimensionally stable. Holds its shape very well after seasoning
- Natural Durability: Heartwood has high natural resistance to decay. The sapwood is vulnerable to attack by powder-post beetles. Moderate to high resistance to termites
- Working characteristics: Easily worked with both hand tools and machines
- Strength Properties: Medium bending strength, much weaker than White oak or Teak. Resistance to compression parallel to grain is low. Surfaces may dent or scratch easily since the wood is soft. Weight and density are about average. Relative to weight, strength properties are generally high
S4S - Surfaced Four Sides
- Planed on top and bottom surfaces to be parallel.
- Both edges are straight-line ripped perpendicular to top and bottom surfaces and parallel to each other.
- This milling produces boards that are ready for your craftsmanship. All surfaces are parallel and square allowing ends to be cut square or at any angle you require. Boards with this milling can also easily be ripped to whatever width your project requires.
- Great for all crafts, casework, furniture pieces, boxes, moldings...really any project!