How to Repair Cracked Wood
It’s enough to break your heart. As you near completion on a project, you find a small split or crack. This recently happened to me on a raised panel door that was nearly done. Try this simple and effective repair tip using CA (cyanoacrylate) glue.
STEP 2 - Apply wax to the area surrounding the crack to protect it from excess glue. Don’t allow any wax to get inside the crack.
STEP 3 - Dribble thin CA glue into the crack. Work the toothpick back and forth to lever the split open and closed, which will help the glue work its way completely through the split.
STEP 4 - Squeeze the crack closed with finger pressure. CA glues dry so quickly, you’ll only have to apply pressure for a short period. Once the glue is dry, wipe the excess wax from your project, and you’re done.
- Woodworking FAQ (65)
- Tool Reviews (84)
- Cutting and Shaping Wood (184)
- Assembling Your Project (77)
- Sanding and Finishing Projects (167)
- Installing Hardware (55)
- Woodturning (59)
- Woodworking Joinery (92)
- Wood (76)
- Workshop Setup & Tool Maintenance (184)
- Woodworking Projects (229)
- Routers and CNCs (65)
- Rockler Legacy of Innovation (20)
- Jigs, Tips and Tricks (132)
- Saturday Video Demo (113)
- Skill Builder Videos (126)
- Maker Videos and Projects (176)
- Center for Furniture Craftsmanship (49)