Making and Installing Wood Bow Ties in Slabs
In this Rockler demo video you'll see how the Rockler Bow Tie Inlay System makes cutting both key and mortise fast and foolproof. The Starter Kit includes a unique, two-piece bushing. Install the sleeve to rout the mortise, then remove it to rout the bow tie key. Since the same template is used for both, you're guaranteed a perfect fit.
VIDEO: Learn how the new Rockler Bow Tie Inlay System makes it easy to cut both wood bow ties and the mortises for bow ties.
- Use with a plunge router to cut bow tie inlay keys (sometimes called butterfly keys) and matching mortises
- Beautifies and stabilizes slab tops and other wide tops prone to cracks and checking
- Add decorative appeal and keeps checks and cracks from opening further
- Starter Kit includes two bow tie inlay templates—add optional templates as needed
- Frame and templates are made from durable 6mm acrylic with screen-printed cross marks for easy alignment and centering
- Guide bushing with removable collar makes it easy to achieve a perfect fit using just one template
- Includes 1/8'' diameter solid carbide spiral up-cut router bit with 1/4'' shank—templates up to 3/8'' thick may be cut with this bit
The Rockler Bow Tie Inlay System Starter Kit (#65846) includes a specially-sized 1/8'' router bit, our acrylic frame and two bow tie templates: one 3-5/8'' long, the other one 4-1/4'' long. The frame holds the template in place, provides a surface for your router to ride on, and also accepts the three additional template kits
There are four template kits available for the Rockler Bow Tie Inlay System. The Starter Kit (#65846) includes two bow tie templates and also accepts three additional template kits, including the Nested Bow Tie Inlay Template Set (#65180), the Specialty 1 Bow Tie Inlay Template Set (#64583) and the Specialty 2 Bow Tie Inlay Template Set (#62050).